Cooking a whole bird in a slow cooker produces the most moist and evenly cooked chicken you’ll ever eat. This Herb Rubbed Slow Cooker Whole Chicken is so moist and juicy that it just about falls apart when you try and lift it out of the slow cooker. Broiling the bird is optional. The crispy skin is nice but not necessary. You will, however, need to leave the bird in the slow cooker 3 1/2 to 4 hours to ensure that it’s fully cooked.
You can serve the onions and juice as a sauce with the chicken or leave it and use it as a base for homemade stock. I like to just throw in some carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, sage, a bay leaf, chicken bones, whole peppercorn with water and let it cook on low for 12 hours. You’ll end up with a really flavorful stock for soups and other recipes. If you don’t plan on using it right away then toss it into the freezer. My freezer is stocked with chicken stock made in my slow cooker.
If you need a slow cooker, I use the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker. I highly recommend it. It’s been a work horse and I haven’t had any issues.
Herb Rubbed Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
This Herb Rubbed Slow Cooker Whole Chicken is the easiest and juiciest roast chicken you’ll ever make! This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, shellfish, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the paleo diet.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Total Time: 14 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Chicken
- 1 Whole bird (about 3-4 pounds)
- 3 Large Onions, chopped in quarters
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano (or fresh 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme (or fresh 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper (AIP Reintroduction)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika or Hungarian Paprika (optional)
- Add the 1/2 of one onion, garlic, and bay leaf inside the chicken.
- Place the remaining onion in the slow cooker. This will be the bed for the chicken.
- Combine the oregano, sage, thyme, pepper, salt and paprika in a small bowl.
- Rub the herb mixture over the entire bird.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Put the top on and cook for 3 1/2 hours on high. Please note if you use a larger bird your cooking time will need to be increased.
- Carefully remove from the slow cooker and place in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Broil the bird in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken skin is crisp but not burnt.
If you’re skipping the broiling step, you may want to cook the bird in the slow cooker for 4 hours to ensure that it’s fully cooked.