This Tilapia Lettuce Wraps and Mango Papaya Salsa recipe is so fresh and healthy. I love the juicy mango and papaya mixed with the savory fish and crisp lettuce.
There is minimal cook time since fish cooks so fast, but the prep time is a little long. It’s worth it but if you’re in a hurry, make the salsa in advance. When dinnertime rolls around, this recipe can be ready in less than 10 minutes.
I’ve included options for gluten free, dairy free and aip diets. You could also substitute butter lettuce with romaine. However, butter lettuce has a more mild flavor and really lend itself better to wraps.
Tilapia Lettuce Wraps with Mango Papaya Salsa
Tilapia Lettuce Wraps with Mango Papaya Salsa are a fresh and healthy dinner that requires very little cooking. This recipe is great for gluten free, dairy free and autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Dish, Seafood
- Cuisine: American
For the Mango Papaya Salsa
- 1 Mango, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 Papaya, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice (White Vinegar would be an ok substitute)
- Salt, to taste
For the Fish
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper (optional for AIP)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Flour (Cassava Flour for AIP)
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds Tilapia (fresh or thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons Lard (Ghee, Coconut Oil or Avocado Oil are fine as well)
- 1 Head Butter Lettuce, cleaned and separated
- 2 Radishes, thinly sliced
- Combine all salsa ingredients and add salt to taste then set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients for the fish in a small bowl and then stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of the fish.
- Rub the mixture into the fish, taking care to cover the entire fish with the seasonings.
- Add the lard (or other oil) into a large frying pan.
- Once pan is hot and lard has melted, carefully lay fish fillets in pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until the fish is flakey.
- Place fish into lettuce leaves, lay radish slices on top and then add salsa.
- Serve immediately.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!