Summer means it’s time for zucchini. If you’re growing them in your garden then that probably means you’re sick of them right about now. If so, start eating the blossoms before they become zucchini. The blossoms have a subtle flavor that goes really well with eggs and cheese.
Frittatas are a super easy breakfast, brunch or even dinner. It’s much easier to make than a bunch of omelets when you’re trying to feed more than a few people. Adding squash blossoms to this frittata make it very elegant. No one will know just how easy it is to make.
If you’re looking to make this a meal, it goes well with a simple salad for a light lunch or the regular breakfast basics like eggs and toast.Print
Squash Blossom Frittata
Easy egg recipe made with squash blossoms, basil and mozzarella.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 10 Eggs (AIP Reintroduction)
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (AIP Reintroduction or AIP substitute)
- 2 tablespoons Basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Milk (AIP Reintroduction or coconut milk with be a good AIP substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (AIP Reintroduction, optional)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 12 Squash Blossoms, cleaned and washed (see instructions on how to clean and prepare squash blossoms)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl with a fork and then add the cheese, basil, milk, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch cast iron or non-stick skillet. Either way, make sure it’s oven safe.
- Add the onions and garlic then cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and then place the squash blossoms in the pan.
- Stir the egg mixture one last time and then pour the mixture into the pan and then loosely cover with foil.
- Place the entire pan in the oven and let cook for about 20 minutes until the center is no longer giggly.
- When the frittata is done cooking, remove from the oven.
- Loosen the sides with a spatula or knife and slice.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cool.