Please note that this recipe is not AIP/Paleo. However, I’m looking forward to changing the recipe to make it compliant soon.
New way to use rhubarb this summer and it’s a lot easier than a strawberry rhubarb pie!
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Butter or Cooking Spray
- 7 tablespoons Chilled Butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons plus a 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Milk (you can also use soy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Banana, mashed (about 1 small)
- 5 stalks of Rhubarb (red parts only), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 8″ x 8″ glass baking dish with butter and then set aside.
- Whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter and banana to the flour mixture and mix with a pastry blender.
- Mix together milk and vanilla in a small bowl and stir until just combined.
- Transfer dough to the prepared baking dish and spread over the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange rhubarb in a single row, snaking around the edges until the entire top of the dough is covered.
- Squeeze in as many pieces of rhubarb as possible.
- Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle over rhubarb.
- Dab remaining butter and over rhubarb.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.