If you’re looking for a refreshing virgin sangria recipe then this Non-Alcoholic Sangria is for you. It’s a combination of juices, honey and berries that make a delicious mocktail.
Why is sangria called sangria?
Sangria actually means blood in Spanish. Since sangria is traditionally used in making sangria, once can assume that the name comes from the color of the wine.
Over the years, sangria has become very loosely been referred to any cocktail with wine and fruit. You may find sangria made with white or sparkling wines as well. Stay tuned, you may find some non-alcoholic white sangria recipes.
Can sangria get you drunk?
Not this one! Sangria is traditionally made with wine, which will definitely get you drunk. Since this is a virgin sangria recipe, I used a combination of juices, which is totally non-alcoholic.
Can you drink alcohol on AIP?
Fermented drinks, like wine, have been around for ages. In fact, it used to be more readily available than clean water. If you want more information about fermentation and it’s history and safety, check out the fourth episode of ‘Cooked’ on Netflix. I seriously considered making my own cured meats after watching this episode.
Additionally, moderate consumption of alcohol (not just red wine) seems to provide diverse health benefits [source], but it can lead to increase in intestinal permeability (i.e., a leaky gut) [source]. For this reason, it’s not allowed while strict autoimmune protocol.
Don’t worry; you can attempt to reintroduce it later on! However, I’d make sure to start with a clean crafted wine such as Scout and Cellar. This company lab tests their wine for pesticides, heavy metals and has no added sugar or sulfites. For more information check out my post Clean Crafted Wine or just head over to Scout and Cellar to see what’s in stock. In the meantime, this Non-Alcoholic Sangria will hot the spot and tide you over until you reintroduce the real deal.
Tips for making the best Non-Alcoholic Sangria recipe
- Make sure you’re using pure juice. Some juices that you see on the shelves are from concentrate, have added chemicals or sugar. My suggestion is to use the cleanest product you can find.
- All the ingredients used should be chilled; otherwise you’re going to end up with a warm drink, which isn’t as refreshing.
If you’re interested in other non-alcoholic drink recipes, try these!
- Sparkling Honey and Lemon Cider Mocktail
- Raspberry Thyme Kombucha
- Mango Kombucha
- Mint Green Sun Tea
- Banana and Blueberry Smoothie
- 1/2 cup Cranberry Juice
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- 1/4 cup Honey Simple Syrup
- 1 ounce Fresh Lime Juice from 1-2 limes
- 1 cup Sparkling Water I prefer Topochico
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, Blackberries and Raspberries
- Lime wedges, Mint sprigs or Nasturtium flowers garnish (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients into a small pitcher or large
- Stir to combine.
- Pour equally into two wine glasses.
- Add equal amounts of fruit to each glass.
- Serve with garnish.
What’s your favorite drink (mocktail or otherwise) on the AIP diet? Let me know in the comments below!