My mom is and always has been, a big fan of Italian Seasonings. She takes her Italian roots very seriously and uses Italian Seasonings almost exclusively. I was an adult before I realized that you could cook with other seasonings.
When she was staying with us before the baby was born, she used it in just about everything she cooked. It always tasted good and we were so appreciative of her being here and helping us out but it became an ongoing joke. No matter what she made, it was going to be made with Italian Seasonings. Tacos? They tasted like were filled with meatballs. It seemed like my mom was constantly reminding me that we needed more Italian Seasonings.
Now that my parents have gone home, we’ve slowed down on our Italian Seasonings consumption. However, I have been making my Olive Garden Famous House Salad Copycat recipe. The dressing calls for Italian seasonings and I found myself getting a new bottle every few weeks. It seemed silly when I already had the makings of the seasoning mix in my spice drawer. It took a few tweaks but I manage to get it just right. Now I’ll be able to have a stockpile for when my mom comes to visit again.
Homemade Italian Seasonings
- 3 tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper optional, AIP reintroduction
- Combine all ingredients in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to crush and combine.
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use.