A simple recipe for an AIP Mediterranean Salad. Romaine lettuce is the base for lots of onions, tomatoes (AIP Reintroduction), kalamata olives and homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing. This recipe is allergy friendly and suits the autoimmune protocol (AIP) and paleo diets.
For the dressing
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For the salad
- 3 heads of Romaine Lettuce sliced down the middle
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes AIP Reintroduction, optional
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives sliced
- Mediterranean Salad Dressing
To make the Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar and shake well or use an immersion blender to combine the dressing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. When ready to use remove the jar from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to using so that the olive oil will no longer be solid.
To make the salad, place the lettuce cut side up on a platter. Sprinkle the lettuce with onions and olives. If using, place the tomatoes on the platter as well.
Serve with the Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing.
- The honey can seize up so it may be best to use a blender if using this ingredient.
- Blending the dressing will allow it to emulsify. That means it will combine together and stay together.
- If you shake or stir the dressing, it will separate. You’ll need to stir or shake before each use.
- If raw onions are an issue for you, try these Easy Pickled Red Onions. They may be a little easy to digest.
- If you would like to add some crunch to this salad, try using pork rinds as a crouton substitute.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2078IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg