Carrots are naturally sweet & cooking them in their own juices just intensifies the sweetness. This makes AIP Braised Carrots a delicious AIP side dish. This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, shellfish, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP), paleo and vegan diets.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon Clarified Butter Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Lard are good substitutes, AIP Reintroduction
- 3 tablespoons Shallots chopped
- 1 pound Whole Carrots peel and ends trimmed
- 1 cup Carrot Juice
- 3/4 cup White Wine AIP Reintroduction, bone broth would be a good substitute
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper AIP Reintroduction, optional
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Dill or Cilantro are good substitutes, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In an oven proof, sauté pan heat clarified butter over a medium heat.
Add the shallots and cook until translucent.
Add the carrots, carrot juice, wine, salt and pepper.
Stir to combine then cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Carefully place it in the oven, and cook for 1 hour, flipping the carrot halfway through cooking time, until the thickest part of the carrot is pierced easily with a fork.
Serve with your choice of herbs.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 703mg | Potassium: 603mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 30396IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg