There’s this Vietnamese noodle bowl made from pork, lettuce, picked vegetables and noodles that I love. You can find a version of it at most Vietnamese restaurants. The pork has this sweet yet peppery flavor that is amazing. I wanted to recreate that flavor at home with a little less work, hence my Vietnamese Beef Bowl.
Making rice is the simplest dish when you’ve got a rice cooker so I switched out the noodles for rice. I also think of dishes in terms of leftovers. I survive on leftovers during the day because I don’t have time to stop running around after the babe to make a meal. Rice noodles need to be made fresh. I’ve tried to use rice noodles in leftovers and it’s a mess. They are either super hard or super mushy. Either way, it’s totally gross.
Instead of cuts of pork, I used lean ground beef. I simmered it in a few spices, pepper and a lot of honey. It turned out perfect. My husband loves the flavor (and the recipe) even though he’s not a big ground meat fan. He usually thinks it tastes too dry but this dish is a winner.
The most labor-intensive part of this dish is the Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables (the recipe is included in a previous post) but this can be done hours or even days in advance. They are quick pickled in the refrigerator so it’s a pretty easy recipe for pickling but you can learn more over at the post.
If you’re following a low carb or autoimmune protocol diet, you can just leave out the rice. Just add more lettuce and you’ve still got a flavorful meal.
Vietnamese Beef Bowl
This Vietnamese Beef Bowl has sweet and peppery ground beef mixed in a bowl with white rice, lettuce and pickled vegetables. It’s reminiscent of the bowls that you may get at your favorite Vietnamese restaurant.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoon Ground Coriander (AIP reintroduction)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (AIP reintroduction)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1–3 Scallions, sliced
- Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables
- Iceberg Lettuce, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic then cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the ground beef and cook for about 3 minutes or until the beef is just beginning to brown, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Finally add the coriander, black pepper, honey and fish sauce.
- Let the beef mixture continue cooking until the beef has cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice, garnished with sliced scallions along with chopped lettuce and Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!