If you’ve ever been to a socal farmer’s market then you’ve probably seen vendors selling mango or papaya sprinkled with chili powder and a few other special seasonings. It’s surprisingly good. While I could eat my weight in papaya with chili powder, I thought I should turn it into a respectable meal. Hence, this Spicy Papaya and Avocado Salad recipe was born.
Spicy Papaya and Avocado Salad
This Spicy Papaya and Avocado Salad has got a spicy dressing over sweet fruit and a cool, crisp lettuce makes for a delicious and different salad. This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, shellfish, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP), paleo and vegetarian diets.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Vinegar (Coconut, White Wine or Rice Vinegar works well too)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (AIP Reintroduction)
- 1 pinch of Cayenne (AIP Reintroduction)
- 6 ounces Butter Lettuce (1 bag)
- 1/2 large Papaya, peeled and sliced
- 2 small Avocados, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, chili powder and cayenne.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter in a single layer.
- Lay the slices of papaya and avocado over the lettuce.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette before serving.