This Pumpkin Butter recipe is homemade but low maintenance because it’s made in the slow cooker. It also uses apples and honey to sweeten it, naturally.
What is pumpkin butter?
Pumpkin Butter is a seasonal treat that I used to love and look forward to every year. Being AIP, store bought Pumpkin Butter is out of the question because it’s usually made with refined white sugar. I’m glad our family can participate in this fun fall treat. I’m also glad that it’s just a little bit healthier than what you would find in the stores.
What do you eat pumpkin butter with?
My son loves all things fruit and this spread is no exception. I keep trying to give him slices of apple to dip but he ends up just licking the Pumpkin Butter right off the apple. He’d prefer to eat it straight out of the jar!
You can eat this by the spoonful (like my kiddo) or you can try these ideas.
- Gluten Free Toast (my favorite is Canyon Bakehouse but there’s lots of AIP Reintroductions in that bread)
- AIP Pumpkin Bread
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Banana Pancakes
- Plantain Waffles
What is a substitute for pumpkin butter?
There’s no substitute for Pumpkin Butter but you can also make Apple Butter. I have an AIP friendly recipe here.
How to make Pumpkin Butter in slow cooker
1. Place all ingredients and stir until well combined. Cook on high for 4 hours. To prevent scorching, sticking and burning, stir every 90 minutes.
2. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
3. Transfer to bowl to cool completely before covering (make sure it’s airtight) and store in refrigerator.
Tips for making the BEST AIP Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter.
- You’ll need a slow cooker or instant pot to make this recipe. If using a instant pot, you’ll just use the slow cooker function and leave the top off.
- This is the instant pot and slow cooker I use.
- Make sure you watch this towards the end to make sure that it doesn’t burn.
If you like this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter, here are other pumpkin recipes.
- No Bake AIP Pumpkin Pie
- AIP Pumpkin Pudding
- AIP Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Vinaigrette
- AIP Coconut Pumpkin Panna Cotta
- AIP Classic BBQ Sauce
- Slow Cooker
- 2 1/2 cups Pumpkin Purée or 15 ounce can (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup Honey
- 2 cups Apple diced (about 1 large apple, no peeling necessary)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Place all ingredients and stir until well combined. Cook on high for 4 hours. To prevent scorching, sticking and burning, stir every 90 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl to cool completely before covering (make sure it’s airtight) and store in refrigerator.
Helpful Info for All Recipes
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise.
- I always use Himalayan sea salt or Celtic sea salt, unless otherwise noted.
- The majority of my recipes are strict AIP or include notations for reintroductions. However while I make every effort to label non-AIP ingredients and recipes sometimes they slip past me. If you have questions, please ask in advance.
Did you make this recipe? I love hearing your thoughts on my recipes so please rate and comment below.