Please note that this recipe is not AIP/Paleo. However, I’m looking forward to changing the recipe and making compliant soon.
If you’re looking for an easy 30-minute meal, this Rum Braised Chicken with Spinach is it! When you cook down the rum, it creates a thick intensely flavored sauce, which braised with the chicken and chicken broth tastes fantastic. You need very little, if any additional seasoning. I used my rice cooker and whipped up some white rice to go with the chicken and spinach. It’s so easy to make this meal, it’s going to go in heavy rotation.
Rum Braised Chicken with Spinach
Chicken thighs braised in spiced rum make for a very flavorful dish. Adding spinach at the end makes this a very easy meal!
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 tablespoon Butter (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 3 large Garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup Spiced Rum
- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 12 ounces (2 bags) Baby Spinach (regular spinach is fine but you may need to chop the larger leaves)
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken on both sides with the paprika, salt and pepper.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add the chicken.
- Cook for three minutes (or until crisping and golden) and then flip.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Let the chicken cook for another 3 minutes before adding the remaining butter, thyme and garlic.
- Cook while stirring the thyme and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rum and then cook until it’s almost entirely reduced, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Next add the chicken broth then bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and then add the spinach, and let wilt fully.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (if needed) and then serve with chicken and a sprinkle of parsley.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #FOODFASHIONANDFUN. I’d love to see what you make!