This Roasted Squash, Beef and Arugula Salad recipe is an autumn twist on a salad. It uses squash and ground beef over a bed of spicy arugula. The delicate squash is surprisingly buttery for squash. It goes well with the meat and greens. The vinegar is a small but necessary addition as well. It lightens up the creaminess of the squash and fattiness of the beef.
I’ve been experimenting with squash this fall. There are so many varieties and delicata has become one of my favorites. It’s a very low maintenance food to prepare because you can eat the rind. All you need to do is remove the seeds and then slice. I was extremely excited about this development because I almost lost a fingernail in a pumpkin cutting accident last month. So I’m kind of over trying high maintenance squashes. I’m going to take my easy to prepare delicata from now on.
Roasted Squash, Beef and Arugula Salad
A nutrient dense fall salad that healthy and delicious. The bonus is that this recipe is super easy. You don’t even have to peel the squash, as it’s totally edible! This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, shellfish, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the autoimmune protocol (AIP) and paleo diets.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- 2 Delicata Squash, halved, cleaned and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 7 ounces Arugula
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Toss and then place the squash in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake the squash for about 20 minutes or until the squash is fork tender and starting to brown.
- While the squash is cooking, start cooking the ground meat.
- In a sauté pan, add the ground beef, garlic powder, Italian seasonings and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Make sure to break up the meat while cooking at high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until browned.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the ground beef from the pan and place on a separate plate.
- Next add the onion to the pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the onion has finished cooking, use a slotted spoon to remove them from the pan and add them to the beef.
- To prepare the salad, toss the arugula with the vinegar.
- Add the ground beef mixture to the arugula and then layer the squash on top.
- Add salt and vinegar to taste.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!