https://bonaippetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Vanilla-Bean-6wm.jpg 1500 1000 Beth https://bonaippetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/new-bon-logo.png Beth2016-01-08 12:00:422018-02-14 19:05:41How to Open and Scrape a Vanilla Bean + Homemade Vanilla Sugar
How to Open and Scrape a Vanilla Bean
- Hold down the vanilla bean with one hand while using a pairing knife to carefully slice the bean.
- Use the tip of the knife and make sure to only cut one wall of the bean. You don’t need to slice it in half.
- Using the backside of your knife, scrape out the vanilla bean insides.
- These insides are actually the seeds of the bean and can be used in recipes as a substitute for vanilla extract. If you have the insides of a 4 inch long vanilla bean that should be equivalent to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Make sure the bean is plump not dry or brittle. If it’s dried out then there won’t be much on the inside and will be difficult to cut.
- You can use the empty vanilla beans to make Homemade Vanilla Extract. Since you they are missing the insides then you will need additional beans. You can also make Vanilla Sugar. Keep scrolling for the ‘recipe.’
Homemade Vanilla Sugar
Vanilla sugar tastes great in coffee or tea and makes a great DIY gift.
- Yield: 2 cups
- 2 Vanilla Beans, cut and insides scraped out
- 2 cups Sugar
- Layer the sugar and the vanilla beans in an airtight container.
- Keep in a cool place for at least 2 weeks to let the flavors merge before using.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #FOODFASHIONANDFUN. I’d love to see what you make!