This Grilled Meat Skewer with Basil Marinade takes advantage of the best summer produce and the perfect weather to cook outdoors. Zucchini and basil are always abundant in the summer and this recipe puts them to good use. The basil marinade combined with the zucchini, mushrooms, beef and onions taste amazing slightly charred from the grill.
This Grilled Meat Skewer with Basil Marinade recipe is great for a party because can easily feed 6-8. This can also be prepped in advance and it only takes 10 minutes to grill. This helps you enjoy the party and not spend the whole time cooking.
What kind of steak do you use for kabobs?
As a way to save money, I used stew meat. It usually comes precut into the perfect bit size pieces and it’s one of the more affordable cuts of beef. However, tenderloin or filet mignon are the best cuts but also the most expensive. A second mid price range cut would be porterhouse or rib eye.
How long do you grill kebabs?
Grilling time depends upon the ingredients. For this meat skewer combination, you’ll need to cook for about 5 minutes on each side. The cooking is definitely the fastest part of the recipe. It’s putting all the meat on the skewers that’s time consuming.
Best dishes to serve with Grilled Meat Skewer with Basil Marinade
- Herbed Cauliflower Rice
- Best Chopped Salad
- Cucumber Dill Salad
- Strawberry Rhubarb Panna Cotta
- Strawberry Pie
Tips for making Grilled Meat Skewer with Basil Marinade
- Place the wooden skewers in cold water for 10-30 minutes prior to using so that they don’t burn on the grill.
- While the recipe calls for bamboo/wooden skewers, you can also use stainless steel.
- While the recipe calls for stew meat, tenderloin or filet mignon are the best cuts but also the most expensive. A second mid price range cut would be porterhouse or rib eye.
- This recipe requires a lot of basil. Use this recipe when you basil plant is bursting during its peak. If you don’t grow your own, Trader Joe’s has large boxes of basil, which is what I used for this recipe. It comes to about 2 cups of leaves when they are tightly packed.
Grilled Meat Skewer with Basil Marinade
of the best summer produce and the perfect weather to cook outdoors. This recipe fits the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) and Paleo diets.
- Bamboo Skewers
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Italian Seasonings
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 2 cups Basil Leaves tightly packed
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
For the skewer
- 4 small Zucchini sliced (1/2 inch)
- 2 pints Button or Cremini Mushrooms
- 1 Onion cut into 12
- 1 pound Stew Beef cut into 1 inch pieces
- Purée marinade ingredients using an immersion blender or
high speed blender.
- Add the zucchini and beef into a large bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the beef and zucchini.
- Toss to combine.
- To make the skewers, add a piece of zucchini, mushroom,
onion, then beef and keep repeating until the skewers are full.
- Keep making skewers until all the produce and meat are gone.
Time to heat up your grill. Set it at about medium high the
close the cover. The temp should be about 350-400.
- Put the skewers on the grill.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then flip and cook for another
5 minutes or until the veggies and meat are cooked through.
What’s your favorite thing to grill??? Is it these Grilled Meat Skewers? Let me know in the comments below.