I’ve made other versions of this dessert (AIP Coconut Pumpkin Panna Cotta, Strawberry Rhubarb Panna Cotta and Chocolate Panna Cotta) but this Coconut Panna Cotta is the OG (original gangster). It’s the panna cotta that started it all. It’s a dairy free version of the Italian dessert, panna cotta.
I wrote about my husband’s love of panna cotta in my AIP Coconut Pumpkin Panna Cotta recipe post but he actually likes this simple version better. He loves coconut and this recipe is all about the coconut. I added a puree of persimmon since it was still in season. It’s easy to replace with another puree of seasonal fruit or just fresh fruit. However, my husband loves it plain as well.
Coconut Panna Cotta
This Coconut Panna Cotta non-dairy version of panna cotta made with coconut milk and cream. Keep it healthy with a topping of fruit, coconut chips, shredded coconut or honey. This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, seafood, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the autoimmune protocol and paleo diet.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, and whisk until smooth. Set aside to bloom for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining the ingredients.
- Heat the coconut milk, cream, honey and salt in a saucepan until hot not boiling.
- Slowly sprinkle the gelatin over the hot mixture while stirring. If you don’t you’ll end up with gelatin lumps.
- Pour the coconut mixture into 6-8 ramekins, stemless wine glasses or dessert cups. Set aside in refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- If using, add the topping to each serving. For the photos, I used a persimmon puree with a sprinkling of shredded coconut in the center.
While the cook and prep time are short, this dessert needs about 4 hours in the fridge to chill and set.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!