I mentioned earlier in the year that I’m trying to eat healthier. I’m drinking smoothies and incorporating more veggies into my meals. Since carrots are so cheap and easy to find in the grocery store, I thought I’d try Braised Carrots. It works so well with so many other foods, that I thought there must be a way to braise carrots too!
I had some wine, carrot juice and shallots in my fridge and I wondered what would happen if I cooked them together. Well, magic happens. The carrots are naturally sweet and cooking them in their own juices is the vegetarian version of cooking duck in it’s own fat. You’re just gilding the lily. I added shallots and white wine so that it was well rounded and not too sweet. I really like this with a little dill sprinkled on top, especially if you are serving it with my Herbed Cauliflower Rice and my Fig Glazed Ham.
Braised Carrots are naturally sweet and cooking them in their own juices is the vegetarian version of cooking duck in it’s own fat. It’s delicious! This recipe is allergy friendly (gluten, dairy, shellfish, nut, egg, and soy free) and suits the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP), paleo and vegan diets.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tablespoon Clarified Butter (Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Lard are good substitutes)
- 3 tablespoons Shallots, chopped
- 1 pound Whole Carrots, peel and ends trimmed
- 1 cup Carrot Juice
- 3/4 cup White Wine (AIP Reintroduction, White Grape Juice would be a good substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper (AIP Reintroduction, optional)
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, Dill or Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In an oven proof, sauté pan heat clarified butter over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add the carrots, carrot juice, wine, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine then cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Carefully place it in the oven, and cook for 1 hour, flipping the carrot halfway through cooking time, until the thickest part of the carrot is pierced easily with a fork.
- Serve with your choice of herbs.