Raw radishes have a sharp, almost spicy flavor. Until recently, I hadn’t considered doing anything with radishes beyond eating them raw or pickling them. This Oven Roasted Radishes recipe completely transforms from spicy to sweet. It’s a completely different flavor and absolutely delicious.
My father loves to nibble on raw radishes when I was growing up so they were always around. My dad used to sneak them into salads but I never really enjoyed the strong and spicy flavor. When I started the AIP diet, I realized that if I’m going to exclude so many foods from my diet, I needed to add in some new veggies. Radishes were one of those veggies I wanted to incorporate into my diet. I really wanted to love them but eating them raw just wasn’t an option so I tried braising them. I loved them braised but it required more attention than I was willing to give. It’s hard to watch the stove while watching your toddler. Then I tried roasting them and it was just so much easier. It’s one of those no fuss recipes that are totally satisfying.
I used lard in this recipe but you could definitely use an oil of your choice. I used it because lard adds another flavor to the dish. It’s almost buttery. I liked the subtle flavor but it would still taste good if you use a more neutral oil like avocado or olive oil.
- 4 bunches of Radishes (about 4 cups), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Lard (coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil would be a good substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the radishes, lard, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and salt into a 9x13 baking dish and toss.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and let roast for 10 minutes and then toss.
- Place back in the oven and let cook for another 10 minutes or until the radishes are fork tender.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!
This recipe is apart of the Phoenix Helix AIP Recipe Roundup.