It’s very easy to get stuck in a rut on the AIP diet. I sometimes find myself making the same thing each week in an effort to not have to think about meal planning. After making the same green salad once a week for a month, I hit a wall. I was just sick of the same old thing. This Mediterranean Salad really mixed it up!
While I may be limited in my salad options, I knew that I could do something different. Something better. This salad has all the delicious flavors of the Mediterranean (oregano, tomatoes, kalamata olives and olive oil) in a salad. It’s fresh, tasty, colorful and impressive.
Salads can sometimes be deceptively time consuming. They don’t require cooking so you think that it’s going to be faster to put together but then you end up chopping forever. This recipe requires very little chopping. All you need to do to slice the lettuce down the center and then carefully slice the onions. The olive can be purchased pre-sliced so this takes very little time. In fact, everything can be made in advance then assembled when you’re ready to eat. This is a great recipe to keep handy when you are going to have guests over for dinner or you need to batch cook in advance.
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 heads of Romaine Lettuce, sliced down the middle
- ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (optional for AIP)
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives, sliced
- Mediterranean Salad Dressing
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar and shake well or use an immersion blender to combine the dressing. The honey can seize up so it may be best to use a blender for this recipe.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- When ready to use remove the jar from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to using so that the olive oil will no longer be solid. You may also need to give it a shake to combine the ingredients again.
- To make the salad, place the lettuce cut side up on a platter.
- Sprinkle the lettuce with onions and olives.
- If using, place the tomatoes on the platter as well.
- Serve with Mediterranean Salad Dressing.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!